This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Weighing My Options




  Thank you everyone who read and commented on my last post about William, both on and off the blog.  Really interesting to hear others opinions on what it may be, or what route you may take if you were in my shoes. William isn't going anywhere, so it's not exactly a huge pressing thing to me - just more of a concern for his happiness and comfort.  The reason I find it a tough choice is because of having multiple horses - I have to choose where I spend my time and money wisely.  Obviously I love all my horses and none are more important than the other - but I just don't think William would care that much if he became a pasture puff.  He is comfortable when he is not being ridden at the very least, that I am sure of.  I am trying to get one horse to the upper levels, and have to be sure not too waste my resources and time on something that won't transpire.  I at least have the luxury of keeping my horses pampered, even if they don't have a job.

 From here, my course of action will be;

  • Put him into light work once the snow flies. See if there is an improvement from last year.
  • Do another treatment of Ugard (or equal ulcer meds)
  • Chiro and acupuncture in early April.
  • Full vet evaluation in May (what can be done on the farm) - asses how he is going under saddle and decide on whether to pursue further options - like scintigraphy or back x rays.
Another option may be sending him to my friend Danas for the summer. Since she sold her mare Quartz, she now has 2 horses at home.  As she will be competing Archie quite a bit this summer, she doesn't want to leave her old guy Bud, home alone all day.  This situation could benefit us both, and give William some more time off if he needs it.  For now, I am going to take it one day at a time and see where we are at in May.

Thank you again for your thoughts and kind wishes.  It's so nice to have the blogging community to lean on when you need it.


18 comments:

  1. Hugs to you.

    It's so hard when you can't just ask them what is wrong. I'm thinking of you and William!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope by the time we're heading into summer all of his issues have dissolved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great plan of attack. Sending good vibes to you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully the winter gave him some time and spending time focusing on another horse is not a bad thing while you're trying to figure things out with him. I meant to mention before (not sure if anyone said anything) but I've been seeing that Infra-Red Light Therapy and Laser Light Therapy has been doing numbers for horses. Definitely have seen a difference in the horses I've seen worked on. Worth a shot right? And it's still "new" so there are people starting out and would probably give you a good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's hoping that a winter off helped him and that he's a different critter this spring. Best of luck to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just caught up, did not read all 54 comments in the last post, but I can say from personal experience to go with your heart. It seems like youve addressed everything you can think of, and only you know your horse. IMO your POA seems great. I hope things work out <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good plan. I hope it's a non issue once you bring him back into light riding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you have the bottom line - if you decide, ultimately, that he'll be a pasture puff, that's not such a bad life. Just ask Monster! ;-) Of course I still threaten her with "I'm going to get on you again one day!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good plan to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Day by day is a great way forward.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you have good options!!! At least you have time to figure it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. good luck - both options sound great, tho i'm secretly hoping he'll decide he wants to be your upper level horse :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think as time goes on it will be clear which option is best. Hugs and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those options! I really like the idea of having the vet out for an assessment to see how he goes under saddle and get some recommendations. I also like the time off pasture puff idea for a bit just to give him a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. cheap nike air jordan 5 shoes cheap leaned cheap nike air jordan 5 shoes against a thief's ear, the thief heard immediately discoloration, then speechless by a cheap nike air jordan 5 shoes policeman into the nike air jordan 5 retro sale next room. cheap Hey smile, took out a bank jam gave Zhaosuo , director smiled, received a good bank card, patted cheap shoulder. Well, thank you for your cooperation, air jordan 5 uk cheap nike air jordan 5 shoes you can leave.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...