This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Thursday, March 19, 2015

I Know What You're Thinkin'


  Yepp, I know what you're thinking.  This woman right here needs another horse like a hole in her head.  

How can she afford it?  How can she have time for it?  What about her other horses?  Why does she need so many?  She already has horses to ride, why does she need more? How will she have time to ride and show them all? And on and on and on. 

  These are the things said to me, to my face, and behind my back.  But you know what's great about being an adult?  I can make decisions for myself, with ALL the knowledge required, to make a good decision.  It kind of makes me laugh when I hear these things, because in my life I have made some really poor choices, but not lately.  Not in the last 6 or 7 years.  I'm an adult now, I think things through.  I know what I want in life, have a plan, and am sticking to it.  If I do make a stupid decision, guess whose shoulder it falls on? Mine.  I am the one that has to deal with the poor choices I make in life.  I am the one who knows the whole story, and if you want to know, just ask.  No need to go around making assumptions about my life, what I can or can't afford, what I do or don't have time for, and what I may or may not need.

 I'm sure you can see, I am ranting.  Mostly because people seem extra judgy these days.  Maybe it's the winter that will never end.  Maybe it's something else...all that really matters in this story - is Indy.



  Guys, this is Indy.  He's my new horse.  He's 9 years old this April, he is 16.2, and he is a built like a Sherman Tank.  He could be Pennys twin.  Indy is a Thoroughbred, retired racehorse type.  He raced his last race November 30th 2014 where he finished 3rd.  His racing career spans 6 years and 70 starts, winning a quarter of a Million dollars.  Indy retired sound, and was never lame once, in his entire career.  Indy was treated like a King, but when his racing days were over...there wasn't really a place for him to go.

 Indy's groom contacted me in December to see if I would take him.  She was the one who I got Parker from.  She knew I would offer a forever home full of pampering, but I just didn't feel I had the room with the rough winter we were having.  A friend of mine had plans to go and see him, but his owner/groom changed her mind last minute, and decided she was going to try her best and keep him.  Although she had the best intentions, she just couldn't afford the cost of a horse, and she listed him for sale a few weeks ago.  I messaged her and let her know if she couldn't find him a suitable home, I would be happy to have him here.  I could make it work.  I know how special this guy is to her, and he is truly a war horse.  I couldn't really bear the thought of him going just anywhere. My first event horse raced till he was 9, stayed sound, and was the most amazing event horse ever.  I felt a connection.




not downhill...just my wash area is on a slope



here he is where I picked him up

such a hunkster at the track!







  She messaged me back right away and said I could have him.  She didn't want the money from a sale, she just wanted a good home.  He needed to move pretty quick, so on Sunday, Jessica and I road tripped it up to the big city to pick him up.  As promised, he was stunning.  He was a pure gentleman to get on the trailer and take home.  I don't think he moved the entire trip.  He is extremely quiet and well mannered.  He is so polite and such a big suck, I'm afraid I've fallen in love with him already.  We have some work to do with his feet before I can try him out under saddle.  He can enjoy a nice holiday and get accustomed to his new life.  After racing around 11 races a year since he was two, I think he's earned it.

 So that's the story of how I became the owner of another beautiful OTTB.  Hate it or love it, it's their world, I just clean the stalls.

33 comments:

  1. ahhh congratulations!!!! he is stunning - can't wait to read more about him!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's gorgeous! Congratulations! And I say :-P to the naysayers. Like you said, it's your business! Enjoy him. Can't wait to watch him grow with you and see where y'all go. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the new horse! I recently did a similarly unnecessary additional horse-purchasing. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a handsome dude! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No judging here, he is STUNNING! Those eyes, and that shoulder, and that war horse record. I am sold. Love him! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your life, girl...live it! So happy for you! What a handsome guy:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is lovely!! No judging, just jealousy!! You have some fabulous horses, and it looks like this guy will fit right in :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is absolutely handsome! :) Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No judgement here. If you can do it. DO IT! Congratulations. I would collect all OTTBs like Pokemon if I could... Yes... Pokemon. I said it! GOTTA CATCH'EM AAALLLLLL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to you & Indy! He's a big beautiful boy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He's gorgeous! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! He is STUNNING! You know I have a major weakness for those chestnut war horses! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Psh why would people get their panties in a twist about that! People are so nosy. It's your money and your life and somehow they still think they get to have a say in it!
    You know I'm all about a badass chestnut! I think he's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know...people are so weird!

      Delete
  14. I thought I knew who that was. ;-) Hopefully it will be a few years before Parker's brother is ready for you, haha! :-) Congrats! He's a nice boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe, I hope he has a good race career first...but I've got him in the back of my mind too ;)

      Delete
    2. Hope he actually makes it to the races this year, haha.

      Delete
  15. Hubba hubba what a dreamboat.
    As to the naysayers, it's your life and we only get one so do what you want and love every minute of it. Life's to short to rue the path not taken ☺

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those war horses! And I can't see how you were able to resist that face for so long, horrible winter or not! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH MY FRIG..... He is stunning. If you were not such a nice person I would hate you right now....

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMGGGGG I'm dying from cuteness overload! Such an adorable face and a great, solid build :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats! Indy is so handsome! I get all kinds of flack from people for having three horses so I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooooooh he's just exactly my type. <3 So glad you could take him. Wish I was closer so I could steal him (in an imaginary world where I can have two... again with that adult thing.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. People who say those things are just jealous! I would love to have the string you do and be able to offer up a home to the horses who come your way. I know it's work (and a lot of it) but since I can't have them, I'm glad you do!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Indy is gorgeous! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stunning! I am queen of unexpected horses, we could have a club. I'm a sucker for a chestnut and a blaze face, so excited for all your adventures with him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. He is absolutely gorgeous!!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Omg, his face! I would have fallen in love too. Congrats, can't wait to hear more about him!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my gosh! My first thought was- lucky, lucky girl! If I could pack 'em into my house in CA I totally would! He is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...