This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Feed Your Damn Animals


  UGH.  So annoyed right now.  There is a farm about 5 kms from me.  It's on the road my parents live on, and in between my house and theirs.  It's on my way to and from work.  This farm is a disgusting dump.  It can't even be classified as a farm.  It has a decrepit condemned house, barbed wire fencing around the property complete with rusted out farm gate  blocking the driveway.  The house is missing siding and is just a disaster.  From what I have heard the owners live in an old RV behind the house.  There is garbage everywhere.

 There are 8 horses on this property.  They had a foal last summer.  They are all Quarter Horse or Paint types.  These horses do nothing, although the owners do have some poles and barrels strewn around their yard.  I can't even express the mess this place is.  The safety hazard for the horses is enough to drive you mental but that isn't even where the problem begins.  The yard where the horses are is completely visible from the road.

  On New Years Eve I drove home from work and noticed it was the third day the horses had no hay.  They usually get fed moldy roundbales with the strings still attached.  It was set to be -30c that night.  I went home and brought my horses in and attended to their needs, then threw 3 square bales into my truck.  Jesse and headed over to the farm and the horses still had no hay.  They also have no shelter, except this wall with tarp blowing that a neighbour put up himself for the horses after being sick of watching them with no shade or wind break.



   I threw the three bales over the fence and called the horses over.  It was freezing, and I'm sure they were glad to see some hay after going without for three days.  It wasn't until two days later the horses finally got some round bales put out.  Disgusting, moldy, black round bales.  Of course, these neglected horses eat this with no issue - yet our horses who are doted on hand and food would probably die after one bite.  Go figure.

  A few weeks later the horses had 5 round bales.  Wow...I was ecstatic.  Maybe the owners were getting the idea and preparing themselves.  They threw all the bales into the field and they last until last week.  On Monday, Dana came over for some day drinking (family day holiday lol).  She told me the horses had no hay again.  Back to work Tuesday, the horses have no hay.  Yesterday - same deal.  No hay.  I mean 0.  Not some round bale leftovers on the ground.  Zip. Zero.  It has been absolutely freezing here.  Snowing, cold, just nasty.  These horses have no hay, no shelter, and probably no water.  I pretty much cry every time I think about them.  I threw them some squares but my hay is at a premium this time of year, and I can't be feeding 8 other horses!



  So, the Humane Society was called.  They already had a call that morning about the same farm.  On my way home I saw their SUV was out with a trailer - probably going to get a round bale.  This morning they had a black round bale and it was pretty much almost gone already.  No doubt with 8 starving horses.  I will be watching this place with eagle eyes and calling the Humane Society again if they have no hay.  I just don't understand the point to this horse ownership.  Obviously these people are uneducated.  Obviously they have no money - or they choose to spend it on something other than their shithole property.  Why do these horses have to suffer at the hands of these morons.

  If you want to have animals, make sure you know and have the means to take care of them.  There are 7 horses on my property and it is tough to keep them fed properly, but it is doable.  I work hard and make sure we always are ahead of the game. Running out of hay or grain is not an option.  Running out of hay for a few hours? Sure..running out for 4 days - completely unacceptable.  This saga will surely continue, and I will keep you all posted.  In the meantime, send jingles this way for those poor ponies.


23 comments:

  1. That's so sad! I really don't get why people even have animals if they don't intend to take care of them. I really hope they get better care soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is heartbreaking to hear about, and even worse for you to see them animals suffering everyday. Good on you for shelling out some of your premium hay, but it shouldn't be your burden to begin with. Hopefully the Humane Society will be able to get the owners under control or take the horses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. that's madness. but totally not unheard of... i've heard of similar situations too. i feel like these people think 'well i can go with out eating a day or two' but they don't get horses don't have digestive systems like people do and that sort of lack of eating can be a real problem! seriously. why they can't just sell the ponies... they'd be better off somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what I hear, if you feed the horses you could end up messing up the case that the Humane Society will have against them since they could come out and see evidence of hay or the horses won't lose condition like they would if you weren't feeding them. It might me worth asking the Humane Society how that works...Otherwise, kudos for stepping up and keeping an eye out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same. We were trying to figure out how to help out our neighbor's goats and that is what we were told. Since the other neighbor and ourselves were feeding them, they couldn't help us. Kind of ridiculous.

      Delete
  5. I hate hearing stuff like this! Glad you are keeping an eye on those poor guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is utterly infuriating, and I hope the case gets resolved quickly so those horses aren't suffering much longer. The worst thing about it is that these people will probably not change their ways at all and will continue to be neglectful and horrendous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awful, the poor horses but good on you for calling the HS. If possible you should call them every time the horses have no hay, the more complaints made to HS the better their case will be against these people of/when the time comes.
    As with anything, the more fuss & noise people make the faster their issues are dealt with

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sad. It's innocent creatures that suffer when people are idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow poor babies! I'm glad you are speaking up for them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh! Good for you for doing the right thing. I hope that the horses eventually end up in a better situation and that Karma comes back to give these people a giant kick in the ass!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a terrible situation - i can't imagine what you must feel every time you drive past... poor horses :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't understand why people like that have horses, much less 8 of them. It boggles the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know the farm you speak of. We had a boarder come from this place a couple years back, horse was scarey thin! Boarder also stated never any food or water.
    You are a saint really. Poor horses....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally don't get people who have too many animals and can then not care for any of them. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We really don't understand humans sometimes
    Snorts,
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  16. near and dear to my heart as you know thanks for keeping your eyes on them <3 let me know if I can do anything

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds exactly like a place I used to drive by every day in my old town. There had to be fifteen horses on maybe two acres and they were all pregnant. They had a tiny three sided shed, but not all of the horses could fit in it. Every single tree on the property was dead from the horses trying to eat it because they were so hungry. The hay they did put out was the most disgusting round bales I've ever seen. Half the time their water was empty. The horses would paw at the buckets and knock them over when they were empty so I could tell even though they were on the other side of the property. There was no shade or grass on the property in the summer and no windbreak in the winter except for that tiny shed. They called themselves a rescue and never sold any of the babies..... yet they were breeding the mares to their own stallion that they had on the property. He was penned separately so you know they were intentionally breeding them. It's disgusting and I just can't understand what they are trying to do besides make animals completely miserable. It's so sad. I'm going to have to do some calling around and see whatever happened to them. I hope the officials do something about the horses on your parent's road. In the town where I live now there is a retired vet who buys hay from the feed store where I work to feed all of the horses who don't have hay in the neighborhood when it's cold.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kudos to you for speaking up and speaking out. Hopefully these horses can get some help soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally agree, these people should never be allowed horses!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is terrible, keep reporting them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad you're there to take notice of their treatment of their animals. There is a pretty big barn near where I live and they always turn up to events with horses that look like they were dipped in mud. You wonder why and then you go out there and realize. They have 3 horses in a paddock made for 1 horse everywhere. They are well fed but they are living in this extremely muddy poop soup. I don't know why anyone would take lessons from them or board at their farm. Not to mention the fact that every person I have met from that barn doesn't actually know how to ride well, they just know how to not completely fall off a horse. Sorry for ranting, I just wish people would treat their animals better.

    ReplyDelete
  22. cheap the thief. Take documents is a middle-aged man, he single-handedly cheap ray bans uk took the document. cheap ray ban sunglasses uk chest. Candid. A hand ray ban sunglasses cheap uk caught the thief's wrist to hold a knife, then a document placed in front of cheap ray ban sunglasses uk cheap ray ban sunglasses uk The thief pulled cheap ray ban sunglasses uk out a dagger from his waist, holding in his right hand, mercilessly stabbing

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...