This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Dirk Lost his Digglers...*Warning* (Graphic surgery pics)


  Well, little Dirk Diggler is no longer the "man" he once was.  The vet came out to geld him, and also removed his wolf teeth and gave him a tetanus shot.  It was a fascinating experience to watch the surgery, so I thought I would take you along for the ride.  If you don't like talk or pictures of surgery I suggest you close the tab on your browser now!







 







  He is healing up nicely and is should be ready to go out with the rest of the crew in a few days.  Sorry Dirk, but it had to be done.  Happy to have another gelding on the farm. :)

16 comments:

  1. Holy horse hoofs that was interesting
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I have pictures from Bobby's castration too. Horse people are so weird. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. arent we? Hubs was like...WHY are you putting that on your blog you nut! lmao

      Delete
  3. Woot woot for geldings!!! We just gelded our two mini's and I've got to admit, in a morbid and disgusting way, it's actually kind of neat to watch the process. It's not a very long or hard process with mini's though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol... good pictures. Interesting that our vets don't fully sedate the horse, they just give a standing sedation. Like you, I watched with fascination - I am truly interested in all thing related to veterinary medicine. I was shocked to suddenly find that the stable walls started to revolve around me and I had to quickly excuse myself, with some embarrassment!
    The other point of note was that the vet always reminded us to make sure that the goolies were disposed off well out of reach of scavenging canines. He had a tale about a Jack Russell who had scoffed what his owner had left in a bucket and then proceeded to sleep for three days. Not sure if he made it up or not....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no, my friend said her old boss fed some to their dog....*shudder*

      Delete
  5. wow. that's pretty intense. i've worked at a small animal vet before so i've observed cat castration... but nothing as intense as this! was that an internal surgery? i would figure that it's easier to "snip" if those parts are exposed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not internal, just cut open the scrotum and because the horse is so spread eagle...things get pulled back lol

      Delete
  6. I assume what looks like silver spray paint is some sort of antiseptic? Very interesting, in a totally morbid way - LOL!. Congrats on the new addition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this is the newest thing - spray bandage - made of aluminum!

      Delete
  7. Did he never drop? Love the pictures, think this stuff is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep he did...but they open up the scrotum and the way he is placed...makes them get sucked back in lol

      Delete
  8. Cool pictures! I have always wanted to watch a geling, but my timing is off so far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really interesting and the pictures are great! Ours are always done by standing sedation - any reason in particular they favoured this method?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...