This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Monday, June 2, 2014

WWYD - Breaking Up a Dog Fight


  I took the dogs for a walk Friday evening which resulted in our foster dog attacking Broo at the end of our walk.  He latched onto his head so badly that even with Jesse lifting him off the ground by his hind hips and pulling, me kicking him...he would not let go.  I managed to kick his mouth and he let go for a split second only to turn around and latch onto my thigh.  My scream scared him, he let go, and latched back onto Broos head.  With more of a fight, he finally let go of poor Broo Broo.  I have never seen a dog so set on not letting go.

  This was the result of my bite, this is the outside of my thigh.  The bottom hole is about 4 inches deep:


 I went to the hospital and they cleaned it, wrapped it, and gave me a tetanus shot.  There were pieces of my leg and muscle inside my jeans....which were drenched in blood.  I have a very high tolerance for pain and I can assure you this was the most painful thing I have EVER been through.  The foster dog had an adoption pending and was set to leave on Sunday.  I contacted the rescue immediately, and her and the new adopters decided they still wanted to go ahead with the adoption.  They came and picked him up Saturday afternoon.  I can't say I was all that sad to see him go - though I do wish him the best in his new home, and I hope he behaves himself and there are no further issues or injuries.  I'm still sort of unsure how I feel about this whole situation.

 I managed to  ride in the XC trials yesterday, no blood through my breeches which was good.  It's still sore to walk on but is healing clean so that is great.  My biggest concern is infection or having to have my leg cut off down the road (can you tell I'm major paranoid?).  Here is how it is looking today;


 Broo has a large puncture in his head.  It should heal fine as long as it keeps draining and stays clean.  I know you should never attempt to break up a dog fight but I was honestly fearing for Broos life at that point.  Seeing another dog trying to rip his face off what absolutely horrifying. Not sure if I should have interjected, but it is what it is.  

 What do you think?  Would you do whatever it takes to protect your dogs, even if that meant you might end up being the one injured?

28 comments:

  1. I would have done the exact same thing. I've seen the aftermath of one dog fight where two dogs went after another and ripped it to pieces before the owner could manage to get them apart. The dog survived but had to be rushed to the hospital immediately. It would have died without intervention. I would never take that chance. Better me than my pup - it would take a lot more to put me down than it would him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The humane society at which I volunteer actually teaches dog fight intervention - so, yeah, it's a feasible thing. What Jesse did was actually one of the recommended things - grabbing the back legs and pulling. Water and loud noises are also used. ..But this sounds less like a "dog fight" than a "dog attack", because, maybe I misread this, but did Broo do anything other than have his head chomped on? Was he reciprocating? So that makes me slightly more interested in what caused this seemingly unwarranted aggression.

    Fortunately, neither of my girls have been in real fights. If an unleashed dog is coming up to us, I will get between them and I'll make my girls sit and stay. And then I'll get loud and angry and make myself as big and aggressive as possible. If it came to it, I'd get in the melee. I have healthcare and 99 years. They have me and fifteen. So, yeah, I'd do exactly what you did, but with some additional scruffing of the foster.

    Hope you both heal well! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - the hip grab and pull up is something I read about once...and has come in handy before when I have had my dogs get into a scrap - more of a dog tumble than this type of thing though. Thanks for the kind wishes.

      Delete
  3. I would have done the same thing. Yes we are all taught not to try to break up a dog fight but how can you just stand there and NOT do anything? Hope you and your pup heal up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could....at least I couldn't this time!

      Delete
  4. I would have done the same thing. No question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When it's your dog, its hard not to step in... esp when you fear for the one attacked :( Sounds like you did all the right things and eek so scarrrrry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eek! It's hard to say what I would do in that situation, but protect my dog for sure. I hope the other dog is the only dog in his new home. And I hope you heal up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two other aussies where he is going...this is a concern for me.

      Delete
  7. Yikes! I would've done the same thing, probably. Thankfully I've never had to really break up a dog fight, and I try to be pretty pro-active with Arya and loose dogs. You just never know, though. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true...I am good about watching my guys too but this was out of left field. Really annoyed it happened.

      Delete
  8. I have jumped in and broken up dog fights before. I'm sorry to see you got hurt, but I can't say I wouldn't have done the exact same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I probably would have done the same thing too. Hope you and your pup heal well, that is so scary and looks really painful :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was a dog fight at the barn a few weeks ago... 3 little dogs all latched on to one lab. It was the most awful thing Ive never seen. I can still hear the lab screams in my head. It took 3 adults to get them off her. oh ya... I would totally do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ughh....little dogs can be scary because their teeth are so sharp....I have never seen a dog latch on so hard, definitely is an eye opener as to what is possible.

      Delete
  11. I'm really sorry for you and Broo, how scary for the both of you! Everyone always says you should never break up a fight, but if it was my dog you bet I would do whatever I have to to try to stop it! Hope everyone heals physically and emotionally for this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That's awful! Sounds like an unprovoked attack from the way you described it, and makes me wonder if that dog will have problems again. Scary!

    I've totally had to break up fights before (I'll second the "grabbing the hind legs and pulling" method as usually being pretty effective), and would do it again. It's terrifying when a dog really is trying to do serious harm.

    The leg is looking good, I hope it stays on track!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was unprovoked...I also wonder this. Sadly I am just the foster and have no decision making pull. Crossing fingers it was a one time thing.

      Delete
  13. I'm shocked that a dog who's done that kind of damage is considered even remotely adoptable. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you on this....I feel very uneasy over the whole thing.

      Delete
  14. I would never have guessed the end of this story was that he was adopted out! If it was that unpredictable of an attack, then it's bound to happen again (although I hope it doesn't!). I hope Broo heals quickly and so does your leg! That's going to be one gnarly battle scar. Now you are super bad-ass.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is terrifying! But I would have jumped in to save my pup (or in my case- my cat) without hesitation! Hope you guys feel better very very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah dog fights... I have a lot of experience with this lately. I always go in, but I've never had a situation like you described. Usually my dog bites but doesn't necessarily latch on... so I can grab his scruff and get him off very easily. I would have done the exact same thing you did.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't have a lot of experience, but I remember reading a pail of water (or hose might be better) can break up a fight. But it seems like you didn't have much time to sort it all out and I think what you did was perfectly natural. I would be leery of adopting out a dog who can do that much damage unprovoked.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...