This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A to Z Challenge - Acid FX Product Review





  Once again, I am attempting to complete the A to Z Blogger challenge.  Last year I made it to the letter T - it was tough because I was taking a course for work and we ended up going to Rolex so I was away from my computer.  Of course this year it's the same story - I started my last course for my accreditation at work and we are going back to Rolex.  Hopefully I can get a little further than last year!

 If you are new to the A to Z Challenge, here is the run down from the A to Z blog; "The brainchild of Arlee Bird, at Tossing it Out, the A to Z Challenge is posting every day in April except Sundays (we get those off for good behavior.) And since there are 26 days, that matches the 26 letters of the alphabet. On April 1, blog about something that begins with the letter “A.” April 2 is “B,” April 3 is “C,” and so on. You can use a theme for the month or go random – just as long as it matches the letter of the alphabet for the day. - See more: here."




 Today I am writing about a new product I have recently discovered called Acid FX.  From this website: "ACID FX  is a blend of  USP Calcium carbonate and USP Magnesium Oxide (neutralize acid)  and Soy Lecithin and L-Glutamine (coat and help heal ulcers).  ACID FX does not effect performance testing".   

 In laymens terms, Acid FX is a type of oral supplement given via dosing syringe before you ride or trailer, to help settle your horses stomach and thus, decrease nerves, performance anxiety, and increase performance and comfort.  To understand how this works and why it is different than a calming supplement, you have to understand some basic horse physiology and nutrition.    

 If I have to explain the basics of horse nutrition, I might go on for days so you are just going to have to take my word for it - that it does what it is supposed to.  Acid FX is designed to coat the stomach during work or stressful times.  A horses stomach is extremely acidic and is designed to be protected by fiber (grass/hay) practically 24/7.  This is why it is important to feed your horses little and often.  The lower half of the stomach contains a protective mucus that is a barrier from the acid.  The upper portion of the stomach does not have this barrier and thus is susceptible to ulcers and indigestion from acid splashing above the barrier line.  Normally, a horse who is grazing or fed hay on a constant will have a full stomach of fiber to protect it from the splashing.  A horse who is being trailered, ridden, shown, or stalled, is likely to not have a full stomach and thus a barrier from the hydrochloric stomach acid. 




 Once in work, a horses stomach can shrink to %60 it's size.  This makes the occurrence of acid splashing into the vulnerable areas of the stomach much higher.  Over long periods of time this can cause your horse to develop ulcers.  However, even if your horse is not suffering from ulcers, the short time effect of acid splashing can cause stress, discomfort, indigestion, and erratic behavior in your horse.  Enter the Acid FX fix.

  Acid FX is designed to coat the stomach, and thus prevent the acid from splashing onto the delicate lining of the stomach.   With no discomfort, the idea is that horses will be calmer, quieter, and more enjoyable to work.  I can attest that I tried Acid FX on Penny and William last night and both were noticeably more relaxed and stress free - after having three weeks off because of the crappy weather - they were surprisingly quiet!  My friend Dana also tried this with Archie before the show last weekend and there was a MAJORLY noticeable difference in him - to the point that I had actually thought he might be sick he was so quiet!


Trailering is always worrisome for Archie

  So far, it seems that Acid FX is going to be a valuable tool in my barn.  It is completely safe and does not test - it is legal for all horse sports including racing.  I am forgoing my Chill and going with Acid FX from now on.  It's affordable and easy to administer if your horse is good with a syringe. 

 Give it a try sometime and let me know what you think!

11 comments:

  1. I never knew horses could get ulcers. Interesting!
    Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me just go ahead and take my hat off to you for even attempting the A-Z Challenge! (And for making it all the way to T last year!). I am not disciplined enough to post regularly, much less 26 times in one month. I don't have a horse, but I need some of this stuff for my own stomach! :)

    Elyse (and Riley)

    P.S.--Love that pic of the dogs all biting the same stick in your header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) It's not easy....hoping to make it to the end this year!

      Delete
  3. Horsies are like doggies in lots of ways. That sure sounds like interesting stuff
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely are a lot alike in some ways :)

      Delete
  4. I'll definitely have to look into this. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using Pro CMC for every ride and it's great - O really loves the lack of acid splash for sure. I'll look into this stuff too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of that stuff..going to check it out now!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for such an informative post! Happy to have discovered you through the A to Z Challenge!

    -Sylvie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting! I'll have to look into it :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...