This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Friday, March 14, 2014

Photo Dump Friday - Why We Should All Watermark




  I have to share two Apps I discovered through one of my favorite bloggers, Sugar the Golden Retriever

 The first is a photo editing app called Snapseed.  It's free and has a bunch of cool editing options.  It's easy to use and so far I have enjoyed playing with it.

 The other app she shared is Phonto.  It's a free app that lets you add text or an image to your photos - great for a logo or watermark that we should all be using these days.

 Lately, I have read on quite a few blogs that photos have been taken from the blog, and either used as their own, or turned into really horrible internet memes and used for negativity and hurt.  One example comes from the blog A Fat Girl and a Fat Horse.  She was randomly Google searching her key terms and found her own photo, used over 100 times with different horrible and ugly memes on them.   I am linking her blog because I am amazed at her poise in her response.  I know if it were me, I would be incredibly hurt and upset.  Another blog I read, the woman also had a photo of her horse in training taken and blasted on a Facebook Group for "hilarious horse memes".  The photo was shared and commented on by hundreds of internet armchair athletes who know nothing behind the woman, the horse, or the single moment in time of the photo.  One last example I have is of another woman who blogs.  The blog Romping and Rolling in the Rockies features amazing photographs of the writers dogs and her hiking through the Rockies.  Someone on Facebook stole her photos and claimed the dogs were hers.  She created a back story about the dogs, and even referred to them as "her boyzzzz".

 Why people do these things, I can not say.  The Internet is a strange place.  I love the internet for it's obvious vast education sources and communities (like the blogosphere), but then there are the dark corners.  Where people lie, hurt others, and hide behind their screens.  I think it's safe to say that we are all in danger of this type of thing when we put ourselves out there online.  One way we can try to protect ourselves is to watermark our photos.

 I am going to try and develop my watermark in the next week or so.  It is relatively easy to watermark photos with a Mac, and now with the Phonto app, I can watermark the photos I put on Instagram or Facebook too.  Until then, my photos will have to be shared watermark free, and open for stealing.

What do you think?  Will you start, or do you already watermark your photos?  







19 comments:

  1. I keep telling myself that I need to watermark my pictures...I really really do. Just end up being so lazy about it!

    I've had pictures of Missy stolen by people. I once caught a girl on Fbook (actually a friend did) who was saying my pictures were hers and that Miss was her horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the Mac secret for watermarking? I need to get on this. Though I'll probably be too lazy to actually do it considering it's struggle enough to make myself post half the time! Thank you for sharing this. People are messed up. And I respect the bloggers that have stood strong. I would probably have run and hid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The FHFG post really disturbed me. As a rider who's more than a bit "fluffy" I would have had a hard time keeping up blogging if I found something like. I've recently started watermarking my photos, although I am still not int he habit yet. I use a Wordpress plugin that automatically does it for me when I hit a button basically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting topic for sure. At the end of the day, a watermark isn't going to stop people from stealing, though it will make it more obvious people have stolen. I'm still blown away by the number of people who steal watermarked pro shots and post them on facebook when they obviously haven't paid for them.

    I know some of my photos have been stolen and I guess I know that's the risk of putting them out there. I don't even pretend to make money from blogging or photography, so at the end of the day, it's worth it to me to engage in the blogging community. If I were on the receiving end of that sort of thing, though, I don't know. :-/ Amanda is a class act. Kudos to her for such a solid response.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good god.... that's awful.
    I only found one picture of Gogo being used elsewhere without permission once... it was a picture of her shortly after I got her back from where she had been starved and abused by the trainer she was with when I was overseas, and the person used this picture as an example of a horse with a terrible ewe-neck that had been poorly fed and shame on the owner (me) for neglecting her so badly. Right...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sad truth is even if you watermark, your image can (and possibly will) get stolen. Watermarks are fairly easy to remove if the thief chooses. I'm not saying you shouldn't watermark your photos - you should (it gets pretty easy once you've done it it a few hundred times, haha) ....but don't think that will exempt you from theft. Hopefully though we can all help educate people out there and reduce at least some of the them. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to start watermarking. Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People can be awful. Ugh. I want the secret to watermarking on a Mac too, though--I tried once but it took too long for my impatient self so I didn't keep it up! Let us know please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to watermark everything, but it didn't really slow people down at all. Now I only watermark client photos to prevent them from skipping out on payment and the occasional shot that I think is above and beyond. As long as you size the photos down so they can't be printed, it's very hard for someone to make a profit off your work, and as aggravating as seeing my photos shared without credit is, I sort of gave up the fight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I laughingly "watermark" my photos now. Sure, someone could still use them but maybe by me adding my name to the bottom makes them have to work a little harder to use it. And I say "laughingly" b/c I'm not saying my photos are worthy enough to be pirated but I feel compelled to do it anyway. When I first started blogging (just a year or so actually....still considered elementary in the blogosphere LOL), I only watermarked the "good" pics, the ones I thought may be interesting enough but I have since started marking each one. Yeah, it's a little time consuming and I just use my preinstalled Paint program but it at least gives me a small piece of mind. Regardless of what you do, SOMEone will find a way around it, just make it a little harder for them. It's like the difference between locking your car door: if a criminal sees something and wants it bad enough, he's gonna bust the window.....I sure as heck ain't gonna leave the door unlocked for him. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow.. people are cruel and have to much time on their hands!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've thought about it, but then I just take cell phone photos and they are not even good quality. But mostly, I am just lazy. By watermarking along any of the edges, people can crop that out, so a center watermark is best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, it is sad that people had to take that photo to make fun. Great response from her, though!

      Delete
  13. That's terrible and there are some crazy people out there. When I was trying to sell my last horse one of the ladies that contacted us threw up red flags for my trainer so my trainer looked her up on facebook and found all of these pictures of my horse that I had used in his advertisement on her facebook page. She was already claiming he belonged to her and it was really creepy.

    I will have to look into the watermark thing. I've never thought about it but you are right we are certainly vulnerable when we put ourselves out there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I should watermark, but don't know if I will. Keep us posted on how creating one goes, if it isn't too hard maybe I will stop being lazy and do it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will post a follow up shortly - including tutorial for easy watermarking on the Mac!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Funny that you should mention this, I have had two instances now where somebody has taken a picture that I posted on Tumblr and used it to make a meme. The memes weren't even good. :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Should you only watermark photos that you have personally taken? What about photos your friends have taken, but that you post on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, your photos only. Your friends should mark their own.

      Delete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...