This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I Will Not Stress About Not Riding


  Well folks, the Polar Vortex has returned.  Yes, that nasty little trinket in our weather system has returned.  The Polar Vortex is over they said, it will be warmer from now on they said.  They lied.  I should have known better.  In the fall I read the Farmers Almanac online and this was the weather prediction for this winter; mild temperatures followed by frigid temperatures. Absolutely freezing temperatures.  Below average for cold.  Lots of precipitation.  I should have known they were right.  They were not kidding when they used the word; "frigid".


Liam and Ozzy Kisses

Liam, almost 3 now! 


just no

  I had a dressage lesson on Sunday and was able to try a used Amerigo that my coach brought down.  It looked like a good fit and it rode very nicely.  It is probably in the top two of saddles I have enjoyed the most.  I also had a fitting done, with photos and measurements.  They are then sent to a fitter and she will  advise me of what saddles and models are the best fit for Penny and I.  Then, if she has any on consignment she will ship them to me to try.  Her website is Equestrian Imports.  My coach uses her and my mom bought her saddle through her also.  Just a wait and see now what she thinks of the saddle I tried and if that is the right saddle for Penny.

  My lesson was excellent and also tough.  The weather was insane and Penny was very caliente...I almost fell off...the arena door blew open and a gust of snow blew in as it slammed against the wall...the weather was seriously crazy!  I stayed on somehow, and I actually came away from my lesson with some good things to work on.



Parker - so cute


Sugars new blanket :)


  The weather continued to get worse and yesterday it was cold, again.  Really cold, like, -17c.  My friend Dana was coming over for a lesson with my mom though, so I decided I would tough it out and ride one last time before the real cold was coming.  I rode Penny and William and they were both very well behaved.  I gave them a good workout knowing there was going to be a major break in the riding this week.  So, I am happy I was able to at least have that ride, but today and the rest of the week is supposed to be well into the -20s/-30s at night.  There will be no riding. Boo.

  I am more annoyed than normal because things seem to have made a good turn with all the horses, and they are happy and enjoying their work and routine.  Now, they are freezing all day outside wearing too many blankets, then come in and stand around at night all bored in the cold!   This morning Sugar was shivering in her stall.  Sugar - a Shetland pony!  She had a blanket on but apparently it was just too cold last night (-37c).  My mom bought her a nice heavyweight Weatherbeeta today and it suits her perfectly!  My pony will never again be cold thank goodness. I hate the winter, I feel so bad for the animals in the winter.  And I feel bad for me because I can't ride.  Boo.

 But, I am just writing tonight so I won't stress over it.  The horses can have a little vacation this week and I can take a break and get some things done around the house.  Maybe relax a bit.  Stay in, and keep warm.  Like Miss. Piggy.

 Tell me I am not the only one.


spot the swine.

  

18 comments:

  1. Oh my! Those are the Lloydminster temps that I'm hiding from on the BC coast - those should not be happening in Ontario! Here's hoping the rest of your winter is a little friendlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not the only one! It is way to cold to do anything, once again. And the wind makes it worse. Luckily, Shyloh seems to not care at all (it's the mountain pony in her). Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aye!!! That's too cold!

    Glad you got some good rides in tho!!

    Stay warm and enjoy some down time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are most definitely not the only one. This has been the most inconsistent winter. It's -1f here right now and that is just too cold for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Liam's blonde mane and ginger tail. Hopefully he doesn't turn into the ditz that can set him up to be. ;)

    And yeah. Sooooooo over the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bahahah....it's actually silver, and really pretty...hopefully that doesn't make him a senile ass either hahah

      Delete
  6. Yikes. That weather is nutty. Poor babies. It sounds like they need more blankets, yikes. Hopefully it will warm up a bit
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm like.. forty to fifty degrees warmer than you and I've already decided to boycott riding. So, yeah, breaks are encouraged!

    And thanks for posting that link for the saddle fitter! We have a desperate absence of qualified horse people in my area, so the online option is really, really appealing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh glad to help. Hopefully it works out for me and you can see the results!

      Delete
  8. Miss Piggy was hiding under Sponge Bob! I am smitten with your horses and especially your dogs. You are living the good life in spite of the cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks Ryker! We are really lucky. Miss Piggy loves her sleeping bag haha

      Delete
  9. Dang! Those are some downright FRIGID temps! I admire you for riding when the weather's like that, even in an arena it can still be super cold. Love Sugar's blanket :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are not alone! I'm staying in from taking the dogs for a walk until the cold passes....if it ever does!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you aware about distinct features about horse mats? If not then you should explore about the same topic on the website via i-phone. Make sure your gadget should be connected with internet.

    Bryan johnson

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh those temperatures are just wrong.... it's been freezing here too but not THAT cold. Hoping for a weather break soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...