This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Saturday, January 4, 2014

A Cold Kick Off BRRR - and a New Addition!


  To say it's been cold here is an understatement.  I went to work Thursday morning and it was -25.5c.  That is about -14f for the Americans. BRRRRRR.  When I thought THAT was cold, on Friday morning my car was showing -28.5c.  That is -19.3f.  That is right people. Nearly -20 FAHRENHEIT. That doesn't include the windchill which brings us to a down right nasty -38c, or -36f.  Oh the joys of being a farm owner in Canadian winter.  Let me just point out that we have not had a winter this cold in about 20 years...this is not typical Eastern Ontario.


  I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing about the weather but seriously folks, this is just brutal!  My poor ponies were locked inside for two days straight.  Although my horses are blanketed, they have summer coats from blanketing all fall/winter. They went out for only an hour in the morning and night while we cleaned stalls.  They came in with frozen faces and whiskers.  My shetland pony Sugarfoot was shivering from being outside for 5 minutes.  I kid you not.  It takes a LOT for a Shetland to be cold.  The wind was nasty...the weather has been just plain wrong.

  Needless to say I have not been riding at all this week.  It's too cold.  There is NOTHING so important that needs to be accomplished this week.  I just shake my head at those that think they need to ride in this weather.  It is not good for their lungs, their muscles, their joints, their anything.  Why do people think they are so hard core that they must ride when it is -25c.  I really don't get it.  There is nothing to be accomplished in this day that is going to make or break your show season come spring.  Please, I beg you, do not ride your horse in this weather unless you have a heated arena - in which case - I hate you!

Parkers frosted nose after an hour in the arena to stretch his legs.


let us back in mean lady!

 Thankfully, for my sanity, a warm current has blown through and we were gifted with a nice and balmy temperature today of -2c (about 29f).  The horses were finally able to go out and kick up their heels.  I opted not to ride just to allow the horses to have a day to enjoy their turnout and be horses.  They were all pretty happy to be free and not frosty once again. Yay for nice weather.

  The warmer weather also meant I could finally bring home the newest member of our little farm family.  Meet Miss Piggy!  A 2 year old pot bellied pig who was looking for a new home due to time commitments.  I will admit I know little to nothing about these pigs but I am excited to learn.  So far she has settled in very well.  She has a deeply bedded hay/straw stall and a Spongebob sleeping bag to burrow into in the cold.  She is such a cutie.  She makes little pig noises when you pet her or feed her treats.  Just adorable.  Welcome to the family Miss Piggy!

  I hope you are all staying warm and cozy.  The countdown to spring is on.





Oink oink baby.

12 comments:

  1. Aw, Miss Piggy is adorable! Brr, I don't even want to go outside in weather this cold (I'm in SE Michigan), let along stay out long enough to ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even like making my horse work below +20*F. Too cold for me! I can't imagine riding in the negatives. And Miss Piggy is adorable! We had a pig in NY and she was soooo much fun to have around. Make sure you get her a little swimming pool in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome...will do. Any other pointers?

      Delete
  3. Stay warm. It has been just too cold. We are glad it has passed for a day or two! Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you guys don't get too much of that big storm that is supposed to be coming!

      Delete
  4. Sending you warm thoughts from the not nearly as cold southland.

    Miss Piggy is precious. I'm adding chickens this spring, and pig(s) the next. So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...it was super warm today so it worked!

      Can't wait to see how that goes...they are also an interest to me but I know nothing about them!

      Delete
  5. It's cold everywhere.... even here in Texas it is going down to 15F tonight! That's just ridiculous for this part of the country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather patterns are just scary lately!

      Delete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...