This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Friday, October 11, 2013

Farm Girl Fridays ✫ #1


 { I have been wanting to do a series for some time now but kept putting it off, not having the time to sit down and write some well though posts but I don't want to put it off any longer so I might as well just start now.  Now that I am 30 I  have no time to waste. ;)}


 Every Friday I will share a tip from me, a must have, or a how - to that I have learned from my first year or so on the farm.  I know how daunting it can be for new farm owners who already have so much on their plate.  Hopefully my posts can help save you the heart aches and headaches I have gone through and maybe you readers can educate me on some things too.



 The first absolute must have item I want to share is a good pair of wire/fence cutters.  If you remember, the first summer on the farm (last year), my yearling at the time Liam decided it would be hilarious if he galloped around the field like a maniac, sliding in between Archie and Parker.  When they both turned their bums to him he had no where to go but up and over the 5 foot fence in front of him.  Unfortunately for him, he didn't quite clear it and he was hung up by the stifles with his front legs dangling.  The fencing in this area is page wire with wooden planks at the top.  The plank popped off the page wire was strung so tight I absolutely could not bend it, break it, or undo it.


Liam and the fence in question.
  The mistake here was that I didn't have any wire cutters.  I could have easily cut the fence and freed him in a matter of seconds, but instead I had to use a crow bar, a screw driver along with some patience, and good faith.  Luckily, Liam was quiet as a clam the entire time and stood stock still.  I had to pry the fence staples out one by one and roll the fence down.  Eventually it lowered enough that he could slither off without harm.  He had nothing but a few hair scrapes - thank goodness.

 Not only are wire cutters great for this type of emergency, they can be used for many things;
  • Repairing and building fencing, and tin roofing.
  • A make shift hammer to hit things with.
  • Removing coating on cables.
  • Helping to remove nails on loose horse shoes.
  • Making jewelry and crafts.
  • A bunch of other things I have not needed yet but I am sure I will.
 The cost can range anywhere from $10 to $100 depending on size and quality.  Ideally, to have a set of big bolt cutters and smaller wire cutters would serve your needs on a small hobby farm.  

  If you don't have a set of wire cutters yet, get out and get some!  You will be happy you did when the need arises.  Happy Hobby Farming Friday!

Happy Appy bum right there.

2 comments:

  1. Good pair of wirecutters is great for art too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I carry a good pair of wire cutters with my med kit in my saddlebags when we ride out. Tangling in wire in the west is a very real threat and I learned a long time ago to keep them handy.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...