This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Bittersweet


  Just over a month ago I announced Archies retirement from eventing.  Since then I have been considering offering Archie for free lease to someone who wanted to do dressage, hacking, or even low level jumping.  At the same time my good friend Dana (who has been mentioned with Quartz on this blog plenty) was searching for a horse to lease or purchase that could help her build confidence over fences. Quartz still needing a lot more schooling and Dana is needing something to bring her confidence up.

 Enter Archie.  Dana asked me a few weeks ago if she could try Archie.  I couldn't see a reason not too and like Dana said, if it worked out both of our dilemmas would be solved.  Dana came over to ride Archie and I have to admit I was impressed with how both of them went!  Archie was quiet and responsive, Dana was soft and forgiving - just how Archie likes his riders.

 The deal was sealed, Archie would go live with Dana indefinitely, and Dana would have a safe well schooled horse to ride and learn on while she continues to work with Quartz.  Yesterday, Archie left to start his new journey.  He is still mine, and he is within a 20 minute drive from me, living with my best friend.  


  Archie and I have been together for the last 7 years.  For the last 5 years I have seen him almost every day and have been the one to feed him, brush him, put him to bed and greet him in the morning.  It is extremely difficult for me to let him go somewhere where I am not monitoring him throughout the day, but I actually feel pretty at ease knowing he is at Danas where he will receive equal care to what I would give him.

  So far he has integrated into her herd well and made himself at home in his new stall.  I am really hoping he doesn't think I have abandoned him, forgotten about him.  I hope he is happy and not mad at me.  I know he will have endless love and superb care and I hope he understands this.  I hope he takes care of Dana and they can have some good years together forming memories like we have.  Part of me feels guilty, thinking he won't understand where I have gone, but another part of me knows that with the attention and care he will be getting, he will be a very happy boy.

  Here is to a new start, for both Dana and Archie.



  

11 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a big step. I feel your discomfort but respect that you are putting Archie's needs first. I hope it all works out well and feel that it will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is a big step. I feel your discomfort but respect that you are putting Archie's needs first. I hope it all works out well and feel that it will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In human terms it is like a boss and a valued employee. They make the boss look good, but can only go so far in an organization unless the boss steps aside. Since the boss has made good use of the employee (perhaps gave the first chance and worked on developing) the organization can benefit from training another employee. Many of us an admit that a satisfied boss willing to give us a bigger chance has been a key step in our career (I am one of them). Unfortunately some bosses are so dependent on their employee that employee never gets a chance to really develop. Not a perfect analogy with Archie, but it seems like a win-win situation. Archie may feel abandoned, but he will be developing and helping someone else develop as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy for all involved. While I am sure it's quite difficult not to see him everyday, you couldn't ask for a better arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great place, but I'm sure it's hard. Be a good boy Archie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very hard thing to do, but to be able to let someone use your horse where they can learn is an amazing thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome gift you gave both of them! Archie has a person that will adore him and your friend has a great partner to learn and love on! I hope one day to find the same for mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww at least he is soooo close and with someone you love and trust!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice that Archie is still needed. You can always visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That must have been a really hard thing to do. At least you know he will be happy and is with a good home :) And you could still get to see him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a lovely place for him to be. He'll be loved and you can hear how he's doing all the time as even visit relatively easily. Win win! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...