This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Foster Puppy - Stryder Update


  It's a tough job, no doubt about it.  This is our second time fostering, and it is definitely a bit more of a challenge when your subject is a puppy with no hearing and very limited eye sight.  However, Stryder is not your average puppy.

  He does not like to be told what to do, as in, where he is supposed to stay and for how long.  We put him in the Exo crate during the day.  It is a large foldable crate type pen.  He can move around freely but is supposed to stay within the barriers, and is protected from the other dogs when we are at work.  Supposed to.  I come home every day and he is out, loose, running amok around our house.  Finally, Jesse decided to put him in the Exo and wait and see what he does.  He wasted no time and proceeded to climb up the wall of the crate, and had problem scaling up, and over...and out.  That solves that issue.  No more wondering.  No more Exo crate.




  I am trying to give my back yard some recovery time from the winter of the dogs destroying it, so I put them in the one paddock I have sometimes when I am working outside.  It's a large paddock with wire fencing and 2 gates.  The dogs can not get out of this paddock.  Stryder however, is another story.  The gate has small spaces between the metal bars near the bottom, and the higher up you go, the farther apart they get.  Somehow, Stryder has figured this out.  He climbs up to the fourth bar, squeezes through, and free he is.  I have resorted to having to tie him up while he is in a fully fenced yard.  The 14 week old puppy who is almost fully blind.  He just blows my mind.



  This morning I went to take him out of his crate.  The door was locked to the room, and I heard a puppy scratching at the door.  I went around to an alternate door, and let myself in.  There was Stryder, loose.  He got himself out of his crate in the night at some point.  He turned over my Guinea Pig cage, and made an absolute mess of everything.  My poor Guinea Pig Louis was hiding under something in the corner.  I have a Houdini on my hands.  What am I going to do with this guy?

 I can't help but think he is one special guy.  He will make someone very happy (and maybe a little crazy) some day.






{ This post is day 6, letter F of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.  
Posts are theme based on the corresponding alphabet letter, starting with A on April 1st.  
Sundays are skipped. 
 The last blog post should finish the challenge on the 30th of April 2013. 
 If you would like to learn more about the A to Z Challenge, please visit this site.  }




19 comments:

  1. Wow, what a puppy! Who would have ever thought that a blind pup would be such an inventive and amazing Houdini? You are wonderful to foster him, and I hope that he finds a forever home very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow he is lovely, and already has my huge admiration for his tricks! I think I have much to learn from him BOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is most definitely a master escape artist. I've gotta admit, i'm very impressed considering his vision. Despite the naughtiness of the behaviour I s have to applaud his cunning resourcefulness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean really....you should see this guy go. I have video....must share.

      Delete
  4. Aww, what a cutie. I have done kitten/cat fostering before, and know what a complete handful those little critters can be. But they're so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor puppy! Glad to know that he is being cared for Just stopping by for the A-Z Challenge. Please check us out and sign up to follow if you like what you see. Juliet atCity Muse Country Muse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fair play to you for fostering him, he looks like a right cutie but sounds like a mischievous so-and-so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've only fostered one puppy, and it drove me NUTS. He was especially hyper, but I just couldn't handle it. The good news is since he was an adorable pure bred puppy, he only stayed at my house one week before he was adopted :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a rascal. Patience will pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man he is cute and sounds like a pill lol!!! How awesome that you are fostering though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, but he is SO cute...does that make up for any of the mischief? Haha! He sounds like a character!

    Elyse and Riley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, he has certainly made up for his lack of sight and hearing with other talents! Puppies are so much fun(and work).

    Thank you for fostering!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What kind of crate are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  13. He uses the plastic walled kind, like the kind you travel with. If he's in the metal crates he just bites at the metal....worried about his little teeth. Crazy bugger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've heard horror stories about dogs in wire crates! I had a friend who built his dogs indoor pens!

      Delete
  14. Aw how adorable!! Hes definitely worth it his little quirks - i would imagine :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...