This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My Barking Dog

I'm good?
  Is driving me nuts, every morning and every night when I head out to the barn.  He knows what's happening, what's coming.  The moment I put on my barn sweater, he heads to the front door.  Unlike Broo and Bentley, he does not sit there and wait patiently.  No, he has to do things "his own way".  The "Ozzy" way. Ozzy's way is to get as close as he can to the door, and BARK BARK BARK as loud as he can until I let him outside. But, there's a catch, I have to go with him out that door.

 This includes the entire time I put my coat and toque on, grab my phone, coffee, and put my boots on.  As you might guess, this is really annoying.  Broo and Bentley don't seem to mind.  They sit on the wayside and wait until it's time.  I have tried letting him out while I get ready, but his thing is to then scratch the hell out of the door to get back in, and BARK BARK BARK until I let him in.

See I can wait :)
  The only way I can get ready happily is to leave the door wide open, which isn't going over to well with me in heating season.  He is a Blue Heeler, could this be some type of herding behaviour?  What exactly could be causing this reaction to waiting to go to the barn.  Is he barking at me to send me through the door before him? Is he just a little dinkus trying to get his way?

 I would love to hear any training advice you dog experts may have, before myself and the other doggies go deaf...and Ozzy goes missing  (only JOKING!)

 Signed,

 Patiently waiting by the computer.



15 comments:

  1. Woof! Woof! I'm might do the same thing. You have to be firm and say NO or NO BARK!. For sure just curious and wants to go with you. Maybe take him one time and take him back at home (with his leash on). We are not professional but hope this helps out. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, he's herding you. K, what I'd do is simply begin the getting ready process. At first bark,end the getting ready process and do something else. Rinse & repeat...
    Of course this means you'll be doing this when you don't really have to go to the barn or anywhere else for that matter. He's got a habit now, it'll take time to break it.
    You can also add heading to the door, touching something that might trigger a response but, walking away without following thru but before he barks. Much like a horse if you watch you'll see when he's about to let loose. Kind of making the entire scenario boring to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain. I am NOT a fan of the barking dog. Luckily Fred is not a barker, but I have heard shaking an empty soda can with a penny in it can be quite effective when used at the exact time his bark starts. You have to be quick though so he can put 2 and 2 together. He's a smart dog, it shouldn't take too long for him to get the picture. It might bug the others though. Camryn's idea is good too, they both are actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally feel your pain on this as well. Barking can be annoying at times as well. Thankfully my dog, Ralph is not that much of a barker so I never had this problem. What Mary said though is very good advice. I used to work at a dog boutique and my boss, the owner of the store, had four yorkies and they had a barking problem as well, and she did what Mary suggested and it worked.

    I hope you find a solution to the problem soon though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before he starts barking could you give him something to put into his mouth. A distraction - he's telling you to hurry up because he wants to go to work. If he gets a reward for being quiet - like a stuffie to play with while you are getting ready and the door opens when he stops barking (if possible :)). Good luck with little Ozzy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would give advice, however my dog still can have this problem when we get ready to drive to the barn, so I'm not exactly well qualified in that department. Certainly does sound like he's trying to herd you. Camryn and Mary seem to have some good ideas, might just have to try them. Sorry to not be more help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, my naughty Heelers used to do this whenever I put on my shoes to go outside, no matter what I was doing. The first thing I did was to teach them "Out of the kitchen. And I mean NOW." That way they're not allowed anywhere near the door while I'm getting ready. Over the years, they've gotten better about listening to the "quiet" command in general, so now we're at: "Out of the kitchen", bark bark, "quiet!", whine whine, "stop! quiet!", silenceeeeee. Heelers are insane, but super smart. He'll get it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Riley has gotten into the habit of barking until we open the door for her. She'll scratch frantically on the back door and bark and yip until we let her out. She also does this jumping thing too. So annoying. I could do without all the barking. Glad to hear someone elses Heeler has a "broken barker" as well. I'm no help! If you figure out a solution, let me know--cuz I want to try it!! :)

    Elyse and Barky Riley

    ReplyDelete
  9. No advice but that does sound annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it were me I would try this, just stop moving forward when he barks and say NO Bark, stand and wait till he stops(maybe even turn your back to him), then once he stops continue getting ready. Stop and wait every time he barks saying NO Bark. His goal is to move you along and get you out the door, he is excited. If it slows down the progress and once he puts two and two together he may gain some self control.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No advice but I hope you can resolve his barking soon. Sounds pretty irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Could you give him another job during that time. I might try a down-stay. Or, if that didn't work, I might give him a kong with treats in it to work on while I got myself ready. My experience is that behaviors like this become habits really fast... so that's why I'd resort to giving him a distracting treat-toy during the usual barking time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When my dog gets happy anxious loud (he barks and howls and growls happily) I will ask him to lay down and try to talk to him in a very chill voice. The minute I stop though, he gets up and continues doing it so I'm not sure how much help that is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My heeler barks too and at whatever she feels like and whenever she feels like.. she has to wear a barn collar because we get notes on the door from animal control often if she dosen't. We have tried "training" and what not but it hasn't worked yet.. when you find something that works let me know too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whenever I put on my jacket she knows it is time to head out and she runs around the house crying. Thankfully, its cute. I could not put up with her if she barked like that! But he is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...