This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

If Motivation Were To Find You -

that ONE good day
  
  Where would it seek you out, and what would it look like?  I will be completely honest, I am finding it incredibly difficult to STAY motivated these days.  I have been trying so hard, and doing pretty well all winter.  I have been trailering out a tonne to get in riding time.  Archie had December to March off so it has not really been an issue for him.  However; William, is another story.  Things have been so up and down with him that I know I need to keep things consistent.  It's difficult to be consistent in the winter when you have no arena, and it's difficult to stay motivated when you feel you are getting nothing back from your horse.

  Motivation.  It is the key to success really.  Some days I am SO motivated to ride.  It can be -20c and I don't care, I am bundling my horse up, packing him onto the trailer and heading over to my friends to ride.  I can get home at 11:30 at night without a care in the world.  I have been taking my boys to my parents for the weekend and leaving them there so I can get several days of riding in continuously.  It has been working pretty well actually.  I get Monday - Wednesday off...then the horses get 4 days of consistent work afterwards.  A nice little routine.  

 Right now, however, is another story.  Ever since that one warm day about 3 weeks ago, I have not been able to get back into the groove.  I was so hoping that spring had sprung and I would be able to ride at home, not worry about bundling into 4 layers, and it would still be light by the time I got home from work.  Well, I was right about the last part.  It has been light after work.  Depressingly light.  Last year at this time, it was 20+ degrees Celsius.  We were having an abnormally warm winter and spring and I was getting very excited about becoming a farm owner.  I could ride after work until after 7.  This year, we had a massive snow storm blow in right after the time change, and we had 15+ centimetres of snow dumped on us.  Just after it all melted. UGH. Great...


  That snow eventually melted, and we had a few days where it was actually above zero.  To my luck, the river of water flowing through my yard from all the rain and snow melting had dried up.  I went out to my ring to check out the situation, and wouldn't you know it, it was dry.  There was only a tiny little island of snow left in one corner.  FINALLY.  I tacked up my horses on Sunday and had my first ride of the year outside, at home.  The footing was perfect.  The sun was out.  It was beautiful.  Archie was amazing.  William was a total dink.  Whatever, I didn't even care.  I was just so happy to be riding outside.

 Monday, the weather held off and I was able to sneak in another ride.  The weather unexperts were calling for a huge blizzard but there was no sign of it after work.  I got on William and he was even more terrible than the day before.  Refusing to go forward at all and trying to buck and be nappy for the majority during my ride.  In the end, I was finally able to push him forward and we ended on a really good note.  Just as we were finishing the wind came blazing in and the tiniest of snowflakes were creating a haze around us.  I didn't get to ride Archie and I'm sure he was just thrilled about that.  Soon after the blizzard arrived.



  We received about 10cms of snow that night, and I was getting bummed.  I have already ridden in my ring at home. Outside.  There is no turning back.  I keep wishing for some warm weather.  Even just a little. Maybe some sun?  When I got home, I checked the ring and it was still soft, even with the little bit of snow on top.  I managed to sneak in another ride on William and finally, he was fantastic.  The consistency really helps him, but it was not to last.  That night, last night, we had more snow and -10c temperatures.  My ring is now once again, a frozen block.

  I am finding hard to stay motivated to even go to the barn to put them to bed these days.  We should have had spring weeks ago, and now that spring is "officially" here....I keep waking up to disappointment that it is yet again; freezing, and snowing.  I just want to be able to ride at home, outside, on a consistent basis.  I just want to not freeze my ass off.  I just want to not have to change blankets 3 times a day.  Is it too much to ask?  I just need a little glimpse of something promising, to give me that little bit of motivation I need, to keep me going.

 How do you stay motivated, when it seems there is little to be motivated for?

stunning, yet depressing
come back....
  

16 comments:

  1. So much snow! Understand being unmotivated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta say, I don't really miss having my horse in my backyard. There's something about sinking into never-ending winter blues and having someone else do all the work for you. I'm cheering with you for the end to this effing weather!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter is the only downfall for me....ugh it sucks.

      Delete
  3. We had a warm weekend and I feel the same as you. Although we just have some flurries, it is cold!! Bring on the warm weather, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be really hard to stay motivated in wintery weather. To get myself motivated I put quotes that motivate me where I can see them and listen to music that gets me enegised.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh snow.. Fake it till you make it. I fake motivation to the point that I am motivated, through quotes and reading other people's success stories and just trying to inspire myself to be more, do more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are SO right. Faking motivation until you are actually motivated does work!

      Delete
  6. Right there with ya! We are supposed to get snow this weekend in IN...last year we had temps in the 70's. So very ready for a real Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying that no snow comes our way lol

      Delete
  7. I thought global warming was here to stay, but now they use the words climate change. Being Canadian it seems you shouldn't get your hopes up too much. Just hang in there the weather will improve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only good perk about this extended winter is that it won't ruin out fruit tree season like last year. However, it's hard to remember its for the greater good when all you want is some quality outside time.

    If it helps, I saw the first snowdrops pop up in my garden today. Hopefully that is a sign that warmer weather will be coming for keeps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Make a show or clinic goal that you have to prep and work towards?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...