This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

All Bets Are Off - Parkers Baby Pics!




  When I was living in the UK I was surprised by how popular horse racing is there.  There are turf tracks everywhere, races heavily covered in the news and on TV, and radio ads belting out "best odds for Cheltenham 2013 betting found here" hourly.  What I didn't see any of were Off The Track Thoroughbreds.  I'm sure they are there, they have to be.  I am sure they make up their army of fabulous event horses which fill the 300 entry spots in their day Horse Trials.  There was no big thing in the UK at that time like there is in Canada and the US now, supporting and promoting the retraining of ex racing Thoroughbreds.  Yet somehow, we have all come to the same conclusion; that they simply make the absolute best event horses in the world.

  I was not a huge Thoroughbred fan, even after owning the great Westie.  I loved them, but it wasn't until I laid eyes on Archie that I really, truly, became an OTTB addict.  Being an owner of a wonderful OTTB for almost 5 years now, I had little restraint when I met Parker to not bring him home.  Nowadays, my eyes are solely on Thoroughbreds.  I can still appreciate other breeds, but I am a Thoroughbred girl until the end.

  The lady I got Parker from connected me with the woman who raised him.  Not only did she raise him, she took beautiful photographs and also painted him throughout his time there.   Her name is Linda, and she has been kind enough to allow me to share with you all of Parkers baby pictures - from the day he was born up until his first race.  Linda has some absolutely beautiful artwork and photographs of Thoroughbreds and life at the track.  You can check it out at her blog: Linda Shantz.

Thank you Linda for sharing these photos with me, and all my readers :)

The day he was born :)

need to cuddle!!


he loves his sticks



weeee








learning how to be a racehorse.


his mom - not him.

His first race!  He was 5th :)

22 comments:

  1. Squeeee! Could he be any cuter? How awesome to have baby pics of Parker!!

    And what do they do with the OTTBs in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume they retrain them but you just never hear about it? Their racers don't seem to be as mentally f'd up after their racing career.

      Delete
  2. How freaking cool?!?! Not to mention he is one seriously cute baby - guess that explains how he turned out to be so handsome. Very cool - thanks so much for sharing! And I know the OTTB feeling, once they've hooked you, you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Parker!! He has such a wonderful, CURIOUS, playful personality. Plus he is Merlin's bestie. A beautiful boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos are just too cute!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! How adorable and how great that you were able to get baby pictures of him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woof! Woof! My mom is loving sooo much taking photos of horses. Well the horses we see seem to enjoy the camera. Love that marking on the horse head, it's like a heart shape. Golden Thanks for sharing. I'm ogin to see my horse friend Blaze tomorrow. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful marking. Almost looks like Africa. Say hi to Blaze for me :)

      Delete
  7. I like you am a TB girl forever! Love all the pics, thanks so much for sharing! I am still waiting for my mother to help me write a letter to Carlos' breeder (I need help because it needs to be in Spanish and my Spanish writing isn't very good.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these baby pics!! So cute. I wish I could have some of Bre and Dickie. I talked to his breeder but she didn't respond the last time I emailed her. I did get baby pics of my first horse and they were so cute. It's crazy how much they grow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a face! Cuteness overload!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is soo cool and he was soooooo cute! Did I see two paintings cause if I did they are AMAZING! So glad you got to see this.

    I live in the UK so know exactly what you mean, the main race to be advertised is Lady's day and the grand national, and I have to say other than the grand national which my mum and dad watch I never watch race horses. I never saw a race horse being used anywhere else until I went to broomfield where they had one who started off quite psycho, and then went on to being a rather sweet loving show off horse. Then this year they have two or three more, one was a rescue horse, she was going to be put to slaughter, until John decide he'd have her and retrain her at the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too am an OTTB addict. I can't envision myself having anything else.

    Very cool that you get to see how he progressed from day one - what luck that the woman who raised him is an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So neat, and the painting is beautiful! How lucky you are to have such pretty pieces of your horse's history :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg omg omg look at his trot in the 4th pic down!!!

    LOVE the baby pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a handsome boy. So happy he found such an awesome home! Maybe he and Gracie will meet again at an event!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the new name, too. What a cutie and a great story :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cool. The pictures are freaking adorable!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...