This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

William Makes the Naughty List, Parkers First Ride

William photobombing Parker


  Thursday night is our ritual TTE training session.  I trailer over to my friend Alaynes with my two boys and we ride together.  Since Archie is having a little holiday I decided I would take Parker over along with William and take him for a whirl.  I figured it would be good for him to get used to going for trailer rides and also going off property and meeting new places and seeing new things.

  They both loaded onto the trailer like little angels and we took our 15 minute journey to Alaynes.  I rode William first with the plan of working on walk trot only, and trot poles.  Focusing on a nice relaxed ride and trying to get him to stretch down and out.  He stretches down but needs work on poking his nose out into the bridle and has a tendency to get a bit tucked in.  Tyring to get that neck streeetched out. Our ride started out great and William was going well, his normal self.  He had not been ridden in a week and can sometimes be a bit bratty at the start of the ride but didn't have much of that this day.  He had a nice swinging trot going and he was being very cute over the poles.  It will take some time to get the reach out and big stretch down due to the neck tension that was discovered in his chiro assesment.

  After a good work I gave him a nice walk on a long rein, thinking "that was a good ride" and preparing to cool him out for the night.  Then, he decides he's going to all of a sudden kick out at the walk.  I kick him on and look him over to see if I can find anything to why he might have done that.   He walks around and at the same spot on the circle he lets out this big BUCK!....then carries on like nothing.  UGH, WHY.  I don't know what his problem is.  I am kind of at a loss right now.  Physically I know he is fine.  I even took his saddle off and tried to walk him around bareback to see if the saddle could be the issue but he did the same thing.  We talked about it and are thinking he is a bit sour from the over working he may have had at the clinic I took him in, and now he is realizing he can be a dink and et out of work.  I think this is going to be one of those things we just have to work through.  As unfortunate for my back as that is.  Here is the video...the buck is at the end, slow mo and all for you :)





  I took Parker out next.  I started by walking him around the arena and letting him check everything out.  He was very excited at first and quite unsure.  Grinding his teeth and dancing his way around the sand.  He settled quickly and after about 10 minutes I decided I would get on.  I wasn't sure what exactly was going to happen when I got on, so I was prepared for the worst.  You just never know if these horses off the track are going to bolt, rear, spin, or just plain dump you the minute your bum hits the saddle.  I tried not to hold him still unless he wanted to while mounting.  I hopped on and we trotted away tensely.   I tried not to fight it and started posting after a few strides and then Parker came back to a nice walk.  After a few minutes he relaxed and we took a sweet little walk around the arena for about 20 minutes.  I ended the ride then and was very pleased with our first time!  He felt really beautiful.  A nice big easy stride, and he is a quite a big boy but unlike Archie does not have a big long neck out in front, and has more power in the hind end.  I am SO excited about this boys future.  I am not planning on doing anything other then walk and maybe a bit of trot over the winter, but it is still exciting.  He is a very nice boy.  Here is the video;



  Overall it was another successful night at Team Tyendinaga training LOL.  What do you think about William, do you think there is still an underlying issue or do you think he has just made the Naughty List this week?

10 comments:

  1. All you see is Will lifting his tail up and collect than bam! Some sweat tickled him?
    I also didn't realize Parker was a OTTB till this post. I have one myself maybe 2 months in advance, I have had a total of 5 rides on her, working on relaxation in the walk and manners. Working up towards trot transitions as I have let her spell out. Her spell OTT lasted 10months and by the fifth ride she was as perfect as id want as a 'walker'. Anxiety has had her close to frying her brain in the race industry, So for now her best pace is a slow one, introductions and the like. I look forwards to seeing your posts on Parker in the future! Rest that back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All you see is Will lifting his tail up and collect than bam! Some sweat tickled him?
    I also didn't realize Parker was a OTTB till this post. I have one myself maybe 2 months in advance, I have had a total of 5 rides on her, working on relaxation in the walk and manners. Working up towards trot transitions as I have let her spell out. Her spell OTT lasted 10months and by the fifth ride she was as perfect as id want as a 'walker'. Anxiety has had her close to frying her brain in the race industry, So for now her best pace is a slow one, introductions and the like. I look forwards to seeing your posts on Parker in the future! Rest that back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooooo awesome to see Parker's first ride! He looks great! Four years ago I never would have believed I'd see that day, haha!!

    Hope that's just some residual attitude with William. My other mare will do that at the beginning of a ride, but works out of it. She's got back and hock issues (and currently I've just had to turn her out again, arrrrgghhhhh).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for a good ride on the baby! Sorry that William was a pill :/ hopefully he won't be too tough to "break" of that.
    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. both videos come up as William for me.. hmmm

    Anywho way to stay on for that buck girl!! Hard core for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. William's not joking around, is he? Interesting - it would seem like some sort of discomfort but you would think he would keep going, not just do a one and done.

    Glad Parker was good. I couldn't see the video either - I think it has to do with the copyright on the song and the US (pesky copyright laws!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. ughh...having major issues with Youtube and embedding...I am going to edit and just upload from my computer.

    William is up to something forsure. I would love to say discomfort but his back has been ruled out...and he is so good for whole ride before that. So confusing :s

    ReplyDelete
  8. Video works! Parker is cute! I'm impressed he was so quiet with other horses trotting by him - good boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huh, that's kinda funny with william. My sister and I had a similar problem with out saddlebred/arabian cross, Ana. She would get to a certain spot in the arena and then for no apparent reason she would buck. My sister was riding her and after Ana doing this for a while and not resolving it self I finally told my sister to slap her the next time she did it. After a few times of her figuring out that bucking was not acceptable she stopped and we've never had a problem with it sense.
    Though thinking back on that Ana only ever bucks when she's uncomfortable and rears when she's frustrated.
    With that said it's still not acceptable for her to buck.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...