This blog is about my life, a 31 yr old filly; working in the city, balancing her career, passion for horses, dogs, and the life they deserve. Following my dreams, and getting there takes a lot of patience and a sense of humour. This is my take on life, and the amazing and stupid things in it.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Oh My - What a Mess


Have you ever seen that cartoon? About the messy dog who brings the mess with him everywhere he goes. Apparently it started as a children's book. It's a good description of what I have gotten myself into.

I've been on the farm for a week now and working steadily till sundown once I'm home from work. I have had no time to ride and haven't seen my boys much, but trust me - this is going to be worth it.

I'm going to share some pictures from my first day of work on the farm. When I say mess, I mean MESS. The owners are great people, but they have left their farm in complete disarray and now it is just too far gone for them. I am now the lucky person who gets to turn this mess into something special. Is it going to be an insane amount of work? YES. Is it going to be never ending? Probably. Am I in over my head? Definitely...but thankfully I have some great friends who are helping me along the way.

I have permission to whatever I please with the property and anything on it. So I pretty much have a blank canvas (minus the huge amount of crap everywhere). These pictures are from day one. I didn't start snapping until we had done a bit so it was actually worse when we started. The goal is to make one small paddock into one slightly larger paddock by adjoining two "pens" which are side by side. Repair and rebuild the shelter, cut the grass/weeds/burrs and make it habitable for Fandango.




This is the view from the house. Page-wire fences, long tangling grass.



The shelter, after the tarp was ripped off the walls.




The section dividing the two small fields which will become one. Notice the amazing fencing with particle board and wire.



After all the wire and crap is removed.



Wire, so much wire.



The view of the second half of the field after the wire fence was taken down, along with more crap.

The bathtub which was used as a water trough before. I will probably use this but make a box around it or something.


Tin taken from the fence line which will be re-used on the shelter. All about recycling here!


Wasps nest in the tin. I pulled it off the fence and ran back to the house.


The shelter, roof needs major work and there was tarp screwed on the sides. Worst shelter ever but hey, better than nothing!



Another view of the second half of the field.


So much crap taken out. I don't even know what that is, looks like an ancient ironing board.



Wire wire and more wire.



Random scraps of wood and old straw left out.


Amazing view here, can't wait to shape this place. Already have done so much, will try and get pictures tonight if the rain holds off!!


4 comments:

  1. ah the days of using a bathtub water trough! Been there, done that.

    Major pat on the back to you for this big undertaking, I definitely know what that feels like. But when its all fixed up you will feel great.

    I went through more rented farms than I can count growing up. As a 10 year old I remember re-fencing barb wire fencing so that the pony I bought that day wouldn't sneak under the fence for hour long jaunts through the countryside (again).

    Can't wait to see what it turns into. Keep taking pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love those ponies, sneaky buggars!

    Thanks for the support <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an uphill struggle but you have carte blanche, so all hands on deck now, girls and boys! :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done all your hard work, it'll be fabulous to have your horses on the doorstep, i would love that!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you have something to share!  I love hearing from readers <3

Spread The Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...